Friday, August 12, 2016

Friday Memes: Poisoned Blade by Kate Elliott

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
No one must suspect what I plan to do tonight. I should stay in my bed, content with the place I've earned for myself as an adversary in Garon Stable. I should.
Friday 56:
Bettany's lips twist like she is about to say something mocking, yet after a pause she relents and gives Amaya a sisterly peck on the cheek. "That will certainly be shocking, to see the daughter of General Esladas selling masks and ribbons in the market."
This week I am reading Poisoned Blade by Kate Elliot. I got this eARC from NetGalley. It is the second book in her Court of Fives series. Here is the description from Amazon:
In this thrilling sequel to World Fantasy Award finalist Kate Elliott's captivating young adult debut, a girl immersed in high-stakes competition holds the fate of a kingdom in her hands.
Now a Challenger, Jessamy is moving up the ranks of the Fives--the complex athletic contest favored by the lowliest Commoners and the loftiest Patrons alike. Pitted against far more formidable adversaries, success is Jes's only option, as her prize money is essential to keeping her hidden family alive. She leaps at the chance to tour the countryside and face more competitors, but then a fatal attack on her traveling party puts Jes at the center of the war that Lord Kalliarkos--the prince she still loves--is fighting against their country's enemies. With a sinister overlord watching her every move and Kal's life on the line, Jes must now become more than a Fives champion.... She must become a warrior.

10 comments:

  1. I have been curious about this series.

    Stormi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great opening. We know the character is not going to stay in bed. I'd keep reading to find out what happens next.
    Thank you for visiting my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually read some of Kate Elliott's other series. I just haven't gotten around to this one yet. It does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just spotted this somewhere. Sounds like a thrilling series:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read the first book. This series looks epic! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't red anything by this author yet but I do like the beginning of this book here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am picturing a dear student who loved Kate Elliot books (must have been an adult series.) I don't have many students who go in for high fantasy but I should check this series out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read the first book in her series! I hope you are enjoying this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read the first book in this series! :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!