Monday, August 8, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 8, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This was an exciting week! I had a chance to tour a house that I have been eyeing the first day it came back on the market. (It was listed earlier this summer and then taken off the market until the renter moved out.) I toured it on Tuesday which also happened to be my 66th birthday. I made an offer that afternoon. My offer was accepted on Thursday. I met with my mortgage banker on Friday to fill out some more paperwork and lock in my mortgage interest rate. Now it is a case of "hurry up and wait." The next step is the appraisal and the underwriter deciding if I can get the mortgage, then the closing.

Meanwhile, I took a look around the house in Duluth where my brother now lives and where I spend the summer. This was our parents' home and has most of the stuff they brought into it since they finished the house in February 1951. My parents had one rummage sale during their occupancy! We are buried in stuff that we need to make decisions about. What's going to the new house? What are we going to try to sell? What should we donate? What just needs to be thrown away? For example: my brother's potty chair is under the eaves and he turns 60 next Spring. The kicker: I am going back to my winter home on August 28 for the new school year. We either decide before I go or my brother gets to make all the decisions. (He is not a good decider! Procrastination is his middle name.)

My reading rate really dropped down because I just couldn't get my mind to focus. I was too busy worrying, finding documents, having meetings, making lists, and worrying some more.

July Reading Report

I read 37 books in July with a total of 13,505 pages. I finished more books this month than in January and February combined. Twenty-three of the books were from my TBR mountain. Fourteen were books for review. I read sixteen young adult books. I read seventeen books I categorized as romances, twelve that were mysteries/thrillers, and seventeen that were science fiction/fantasy. Some books fit into more than one category, i.e. romantic suspense and paranormal romance.

Read Last Week
I read three books from my TBR mountain this week.

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater continues the Wolves of Mercy Falls series by telling Cole and Isabel's story. I liked this one very much. My review will be posted on September 8.

Invisible Monsters (Talker 25) by Joshua McCune was the sequel to Talker 25. It was graphic, violent and, since it has been a while since I read the first book, kind of confusing. While I enjoyed it, I think I would have enjoyed it more if the details from Talker 25 were fresher in my memory. My review will be posted on September 10.

Terminal by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs is the final novel in the Virals series. It was action-packed and exciting. My review will be posted on September 14.

Currently

Nothing. I'm still reading the book for my other blog.

Next Week
I have two from TBR mountain:
I also have two from my Review Pile:
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I downloaded both of the SYNC free audiobooks this week.
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read.  

6 comments:

  1. Yay for 37 books! I use your house stories as cautionary tales! I cleaned out my parents' house two years ago, but my daughters are not quite ready to head out on their own. When they do, it's ALL going with them! (Even my grandmother's sewing machine, which was supposed to be mine but my mother wouldn't let me have for 30 years!) Not sure what I'll do with my 1950s teen book collection when I head to the condo! Good luck on cleaning out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are unsentimental rolling stones (never living in a place longer than about 5 years) who have always lived in small spaces, so at least I never have to worry about cleaning out a house full of belongings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh nice! I liked Cole's story as well! Hope you have a good week of reads!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a reading machine! I think you better stock up on audiobooks. I cleaned out my mother in laws place after she died.Thankfully we inherited the house so I could take my time going through it. That woman had more clothes than I thought humanly possible,never mind all the other stuff. We ended up taking truckload after truckload full of stuff to the dump. It was those audiobooks that got me through it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you have a lot to do. Buying a house can take a good bit of your time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is a whole LOT of reading! Congratulations on the house too - wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!