Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Ones by Daniel Sweren-Becker

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books and a Beat. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Teaser:
"Did they push you off, too?" she asked.

James hesitated for a moment, then answered softly. "No. I jumped."
This week I am reading The Ones by Daniel Sweren-Becker from my review stack. Here is the description from Amazon:
We are not all created equal.

Seventeen-year-old Cody and her boyfriend, James, were two of the lucky ones randomly selected before birth to receive genetic engineering.

Known as the Ones, this one percent of the population is healthy, beautiful, and talented…and to some that's not fair. Mounting fear and jealousy of the Ones’ success leads to the creation of the Equality Movement, which quickly gains enough political traction to demote Cody, James, and others like them to second-class citizens.

Cody knows even before the brick smashes through her window that it's going to be bad. As their school, the government, and even family and friends turn against them, Cody begins to believe they have no other choice but to protect their own. She draws closer to a group of radical Ones led by the passionate and fevered Kai, and James begins to question just how far she is willing to go for the cause…

Themes of justice, discrimination and terrorism mix with actual science to create a frightening version of our near future in this pulse-pounding thriller.

5 comments:

  1. Genetic engineering always seems to draw me in. The fact that this book is also a thriller has me very intrigued! I haven't heard of this book before and it sounds like one that I would really enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it could be good -- I like the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chilling. Sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features BROKEN PIECES

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good teaser. I wonder what the consequences of her choosing to jump will be.

    My TT from Diary Of A Haunting

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!