Wednesday, September 28, 2016

ARC Review: Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson

Like a River Glorious
Author: Rae Carson
Series: Gold Seer Trilogy (Book 2)
Publication: Greenwillow Books (Sept. 27, 2016)

Description: The sequel to the New York Times–bestselling and National Book Award longlisted Walk on Earth a Stranger.

After her harrowing journey west to California, Lee Westfall has finally found a new home—one rich in gold, thanks to her magical power, a power that seems to be changing every day. But this home is rich in other ways, too: with friends who are searching for a place to be themselves, just as she is, and with love. Jefferson—her longtime best friend—hasn’t stopped trying to win her heart. And Lee is more and more tempted to say yes.

But her uncle Hiram hasn’t given up his quest to get Lee and her power under his control. When she’s kidnapped and taken to him, Lee sees firsthand the depths of her uncle’s villainy. Yet Lee’s magic is growing. Gold no longer simply sings to her, it listens. It obeys her call. Is it enough to destroy her uncle once and for all?

Rae Carson, acclaimed author of the Girl of Fire and Thorns series, takes us deep into the gold fields as she continues this sweeping saga of magic and history, and an unforgettable heroine who must come into her own.

My Thoughts: This second book in the Gold Seer trilogy sees Lee and a group of ragtag survivors of their wagon train in California. Lee uses her talent for feeling where gold is to stake out claims for each of them. They gradually built a cabin and some shanties and begin taking gold out of the ground. Becky has begun feeding nearby miners and is really busy despite the fact that she is a terrible cook.

But Uncle Hiram and his henchmen have not given up on getting Lee under his control. The first action that Frank Dilley takes is to try to burn them out. When that doesn't work, he tricks Lee, her friend Jefferson, and one of the college boys, Tom, into trying to meet Hiram in Sacramento. Frank kidnaps them along the way and drugs them with laudanum as he takes them to the mining camp her uncle has set up.

Tom and Jefferson are mistreated and held as hostages to Lee's behavior. She is forced to tell her uncle where to mine to keep them safe. Lee watches as Hiram and his white foremen abuse the Indians and Chinese who are working in the mine. Together, Lee, Jeff, Tom, the leader of the Indians, and Mary, a Chinese girl who is the camp prostitute, come up with a plan for all of them to get away.

This story was filled with adventure and filled with the hardships that settlers faced as they tried to carve out new homes in California. It talks about the prejudices that were common regarding the native inhabitants in the land the the Chinese immigrants.

This is also a story a building a family from among the people Lee encounters. Lee has not had much happiness in her birth family since her uncle killed her father and mother. She learns that she can find happiness with the people who have the same goals and hopes as she does. Her romance with Jefferson grows in this book.

I can't wait to read the third book in this trilogy to find out what happens next for Lee, Jefferson, and all of the family they have gathered.

Favorite Quote:
"Lee, what's wrong? I thought you'd be happy!"

"I'm fine! It's just..." Another deep breath. "I've spent my whole life witching up gold. It's how I fed my family. It's how I was supposed to become rich. I thought..." My voice turns sheepish as I admit this. "I thought my magic would save us all. But it turns out, all the magic in the world is rubbish compared to good people who take care of their own."
I got this eARC from Edelweiss. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!