Friday, September 23, 2016

Friday Memes: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
Nailer clambered through a service duct, tugging at copper wire and yanking it free.
Friday 56:
Silence stretched between them. "Lost it, huh?" was all his father said, but Nailer could tell that dangerous gears were turning now, fueled by the rattle of drugs and anger and whatever madness caused his father's bouts of frenzied work and brutality.
This week I am reading Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. I bought this book Oct. 24, 2010. Here is the description from Amazon:
In America's Gulf Coast region, where grounded oil tankers are being broken down for parts, Nailer, a teenage boy, works the light crew, scavenging for copper wiring just to make quota--and hopefully live to see another day. But when, by luck or chance, he discovers an exquisite clipper ship beached during a recent hurricane, Nailer faces the most important decision of his life: Strip the ship for all it's worth or rescue its lone survivor, a beautiful and wealthy girl who could lead him to a better life. . . .

In this powerful novel, award-winning author Paolo Bacigalupi delivers a thrilling, fast-paced adventure set in a vivid and raw, uncertain future.

8 comments:

  1. You've had this book a long time! I guess I've also got books that have been on my shelf that long, though. My Friday Book is Beneath the Surface by Jo Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like it could be good. Enjoy your current read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's a gritty one. I like that.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live on the Gulf Coast and this sounds fascinating. Would love to read it!

    My Friday 56 from Curse Of The Boggin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... sounds explosive with drugs and anger! Intense, fascinating reading, for sure! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, one of my most favorite book of all time! I was in the room when Paolo accepted his Printz Award for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember REALLY liking this book when I read it a few years ago but then I never got around to reading the sequel. Don't top here while it is fresh in your mind. Read on!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!