Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Teaser Tuesday: A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books and a Beat. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Teaser:
Finally, it was the day of our arrival. I leaned out the window with a thrill of anticipation. As we neared the city proper, however, my excitement faded. I paled at the horror that lay before me.
This week I am reading A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess. I got the eARC from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
I am Henrietta Howel.
The first female sorcerer in hundreds of years.
The prophesied one.
Or am I?

Henrietta Howel can burst into flames.
Forced to reveal her power to save a friend, she's shocked when instead of being executed, she's invited to train as one of Her Majesty's royal sorcerers.

Thrust into the glamour of Victorian London, Henrietta is declared the chosen one, the girl who will defeat the Ancients, bloodthirsty demons terrorizing humanity. She also meets her fellow sorcerer trainees, handsome young men eager to test her power and her heart. One will challenge her. One will fight for her. One will betray her.

But Henrietta Howel is not the chosen one.
As she plays a dangerous game of deception, she discovers that the sorcerers have their own secrets to protect. With battle looming, what does it mean to not be the one? And how much will she risk to save the city—and the one she loves?

Exhilarating and gripping, Jessica Cluess's spellbinding fantasy introduces a powerful, unforgettably heroine, and a world filled with magic, romance, and betrayal. Hand to fans of Libba Bray, Sarah J. Maas, and Cassandra Clare.

8 comments:

  1. I wonder what she saw. This sounds good. And I like the era its set in.

    My TT from The Ice Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I want to know why!

    Explore a psychological mystery this week in this book by Alex Marwood: https://wp.me/p3Nz8P-TL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this looks really good! The cover is quite eye-catching too.

    Here's my Teaser for this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2016/09/teaser-tuesday-caught-in-middle.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually a fantasy fan but this one captures my interest. Here's my link to a biography: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1hs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lays before here? I need to know!. Lovely teaser here's mine http://wp.me/p7KAUt-5t

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does she know she's not the one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh nice! I meant to read this one prior to its release, but we can see how well that worked out! LOL! Still can't wait to read it! Great teaser!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for this one and your teaser has me even more eager to read it! I hope that you are enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!