Saturday, January 28, 2017

Book Review: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer

Between the Lines
Author: Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
Publication: EMILY BESTLER BOOKS/ATRIA/SIMON PULSE; First Edition edition (June 26, 2012)

Description: What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

A romantic and charming story, this companion novel to Off the Page will make every reader believe in the fantastical power of fairy tales.

My Thoughts: Delilah is a loner, a misfit, and a dreamer. She prefers spending her time buried in a book - Between the Lines - which is a fairy tale that has captured her imagination. The main character Prince Oliver feels so real to her. Then one day he talks to her...

Oliver is tired of repeating the same series of events over and over whenever anyone opens the pages of the book. He really isn't at all enchanted with the princess that his is destined to save. While lovely, Seraphina isn't very bright and, besides, his best friend Frump who was magically turned into a dog has a major crush on her.

This was an imaginative and engaging story. Who hasn't thought that the characters in books had a secret life when the covers were closed? I liked Oliver's determination in finding a way to get out of the story and Delilah's determination to help him. I liked what this book said about the power of story.

Favorite Quote:
Here I am, wasting away inside a book I wish I could escape, and all she wants to do is stay in the story.

If I could talk to this girl Delilah, I'd ask her why on earth she would ever trade a single second of the world she's in for the one in which I'm stuck.
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!