Monday, January 16, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Jan. 16. 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

I have felt like a prophet of doom all week as I have been constantly reminding my students that the end of the semester is coming and they have missing work. Our semester ends this Friday. Monday is a work day/inservice day and then the second semester begins. I will be seeing a whole new bunch of students. I'm saying goodbye to my fifth, third and second graders and hello to Kindergartners, first graders, fourth graders and sixth graders. I'm also saying goodbye to my half-time schedule and going to full time for the first time since the 2014-2015 school year. This week will be filled with meetings and report cards (upwards of 240 of them).

After a (relatively) warm and sunny weekend, we are supposed to begin the coming week with a "wintry mix." We still haven't lost the ice from the last time. Freezing rain on Monday and Tuesday ought to make the driving miserable. I'm forever grateful that my longest commute is 3/4 of a mile.

I bought myself a present this week - a paper shredder- and have gleefully been going through my file drawers in my quest to be more organized and have less stuff in 2017. I searched online to see how long I should be keeping papers. I was pretty sure I didn't need my first pay stub from 1976 but didn't want to get rid of it prematurely.

Read Last Week
A Season of Daring Greatly by Ellen Emerson White is about a new high school graduate who is the first woman drafted into Major League Baseball. This tells about the troubles she faces being a pioneer. The main characters is smart, thoughtful, and articulate. It was an excellent story which I will review on February 11.

The Wish Granter by C. J. Redwine was an entertaining fantasy with well-developed characters. It tells what happened next for Rumpelstiltskin. It features a determined, intelligent, and relentless princess who will do anything to save her brother and a poor, abused weapons master who knows more than he wants to about the Wish Granter and falls in love with the princess. My review will be posted on February 18.

Currently
Also from my review stack, I am reading The Dragon's Price by Bethany Wiggins.

Next Week
  • Freedom's Slave by Heather Demetrios is the third and final book in her Dark Caravan Cycle. It will be release Feb. 28.
  • This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills is from my TBR mountain. I met the author and bought this book October 8, 2016.
  • The Swan Riders by Erin Bow in a new addition to TBR mountain. I want to read it before I forget all the details in the first book in this series (The Scorpion Rules).
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
  • Windwitch by Susan Dennard (Print - This is another to read soon before the details in Truthwitch are forgotten.)
  • Bad Blood by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Print)
  • After Everyone Died by Sean Patrick Little - I bought a Kindle copy of this book by a man I taught with some years ago.
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

4 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I still need to read The Shadow Queen! Going to tackle Windwitch this week though!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list. I'm really curious now about A Season of Daring Greatly and The Wish Granter. I have Truthwitch and Windwitch coming up soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really am looking forward to receiving the review copy of Windwitch soonest - I enjoyed Truthwitch too! :) - Myra from GatheringBooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting a paper shredder. I have a ton of paper "clutter" to get rid of. Hopefully it will help me be more organized too. :)

    I want to read several books on your list. I've got Bad Blood checked out from the library though it will be awhile before I get to it. I also want to read This Adventure Ends. I really liked her debut.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!