Monday, January 9, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Jan. 9, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

I had a nice relaxing Christmas break at home in Duluth with my brother. I had excellent driving conditions both ways considering that it was winter and we had a few storms during my break. I got a lot of reading done and even some planning and organizing in our new home.

We've signed the contract and turned the keys over to the man who will be doing our estate sale at our parents' house. He needs a month to go through everything and get it all set up. The sale should happen early in February.

Next will be meeting with the realtor to have her tell us what we need to do to get the house ready for sale. Hopefully it will go on the market by March. While that is going on, I also need to sort through the things in my home to decide what I'll be taking to Duluth and getting someone to do an estate sale here. I want to put the house where I'm currently living on the market in June. Hopefully, it will sell quickly and I'll be all settled in my new Duluth home by fall.

Not that I'm counting but, I marked off the calendar Friday to learn that I have 99 work days left before retirement.

I didn't mean to fall off the internet last week but I arrived back at my townhouse on Dec. 30 to find that I had no internet. A call to the service department of my internet service provider determined that I had an outdated router which had failed. I was promised that I would received my new router on Dec. 31 but I was skeptical. The router actually arrived on Tuesday afternoon. Now I know just how frequently I turn to the internet on any given day. I didn't have access to my calendar to see what I planned to read, couldn't pay the bills that had arrived while I was gone, couldn't do any blogging, and couldn't play any of my computer games. I was suffering withdrawal Friday and Saturday but had adjusted to the new normal Sunday and Monday. Of course, once my new router was installed, I spent 8 hours straight on the internet Tuesday trying to catch up.

Read Last Two Weeks
My Christmas break gave me a lot of time to read. Most of these are from my review stack.
  • By Your Side by Kasie West will be released on Jan. 31. It was great contemporary romance. My review will be posted on Jan. 26.
  • Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer was a contemporary fantasy from my TBR mountain. While I thought the ending was a little abrupt, I did enjoy the story. My review will be posted on Jan. 28.
  • The Cruelty by Scott Bergstrom will be released on Feb. 7. It was an intense and graphic thriller with a very interesting main character. My review will be posted on Feb. 2.
I didn't have any internet when I got home on Dec. 30. I had to guess what was next on my Google calendar and chose these.
  • Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan will be released on Feb. 7. It is the sequel to Reign of Shadows and brought the story to a satisfying conclusion. My review will be posted on Feb. 4.
  • Long May She Reign by Rhiannon Thomas will be released on Feb. 21. It was an engaging fantasy wherein a young woman whose main interest is science finds herself inheriting the throne of her country after a mass murder. My review will be posted on Feb. 16.
  • The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro was a twisty and complicated mystery starring Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson. It will be released on Feb. 14 with my review published on Feb. 9.
Currently
A Season of Daring Greatly by Ellen Emerson White will be released on Feb. 14.

Next Week

Next up are three more from my review stack.
Reviews Posted
Rose and Thorn by Sarah Prineas
Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kineally
A List of Cages by Robin Roe
You Don't Know My Name by Kristen Orlando

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

All Kindle books lately.
  • Starflight by Melissa Landers was recommended on a blog I read and sounded good to me. 
  • Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton was a Kindle Deal. I read the book but wanted a Kindle copy.
  • A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro was a Kindle Deal. I read the eARC but wanted a copy for myself.
  • The Long Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is the sequel to a book I read and enjoyed. It was also a Kindle Deal.
I added one more book to my Kindle after I got back on the internet.
I have the hard cover of Passenger by Alexandra Bracken on my TBR mountain. Now I can donate it and read my new Kindle copy which was on sale.
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

4 comments:

  1. Long May She Reign sounds pretty fascinating. (Isn't is crazy how much of our life is Internet-centered? Glad your router is back online.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh very nice!! Seeing lots of titles here that I enjoyed and ones I still need to read! And ones where I need to read the book 1 to them! LOL! Happy Reading this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience on holiday - at first I was desperate for inter state, then I was fine without it, but once I got it back I had to binge read to get caught up on everything I'd missed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really intrigued by Rebel of the Sands - been reading so many positive reviews about it from trusted book bloggers and yes A List of Cages too! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!