Tuesday, January 3, 2017

State of the Stack (Jan. 3, 2017)

This is my monthly State of the Stack post. It is my way to keep track of my review books and to hopefully reduce the stack that I have waiting for me. I take a look at my review commitments on the last Monday of each month. Please feel free to join in and let me know the state of your stack.

Here is my Review Books Spreadsheet I list them in publication order and sort them by month. I can quickly see how many books I have for each date. Ideally, this keeps me from over-committing to review books. Check my spreadsheet to find out where I got each book.

I also do this post because sometimes (frequently) review books sit on my stack for a while before I read and review them. I try to read and review books within two weeks of publication date. Sometimes I can't, though, if too many books are releasing on the same date or if the book arrives too near its publication date and my calendar is already full.

I am very grateful to the authors and publishers who support my reading habit.

My Review Pile

February
 Beauty and the Wiener by Casey Griffin (Feb. 7)
A Season of Daring Greatly by Ellen Emerson White (Feb. 14)
The Wish Granter by C. J. Redwine (Feb. 14)
The Dragon's Price by Bethany Wiggins (Feb. 21)
I See You by Clare Mackintosh (Feb. 21)
Freedom's Slave by Heather Demetrios (Feb. 28)

March
The Bone Witch by Ron Chupeco (March 7)
Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop (March 7)
Elementary, She Read by Vicki Delany (March 14)
Freya by Matthew Laurence (March 14)
Hunted by Meagan Spooner (March 14)
Purr M for Murder by T. C. LoTempio (March 14)
The Cutaway by Christina Kovac (March 21)
The Hidden Memory of Objects by Danielle Mages Amato (March 21)
Shadow Run by Michael Miller (March 21)
A Twist of the Knife by Becky Masterman (March 21)
100 Hours by Rachel Vincent (March 28)

April
Gauntlet by Holly Jennings (April 4)
Pretty Fierce by Kieran Scott (April 4)
Shadowcaster by Cinda Williams Chima (April 4)
Alice and the Assassin by R. J. Koreto (April 11)
Duels and Deception by Cindy Anstey (April 11)
Gone Without a Trace by Mary Torjussen (April 11)
Kale to the Queen by Nell Hampton (April 11)
Spindle Fire by Lexa Hillyer (April 11)
Missing by Kelley Armstrong (April 18)

June
The Sandcastle Empire by Kayla Olson (June 6)
The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May (June 13)
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee (June 20)

August
The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky (August 1)

I Read This Month

These are listed in the order I read them. Links go to my reviews for all that have been posted already. Otherwise, the date the review is scheduled for is listed.
  1. The Golden Gate by Robert Buettner (Dec. 31)
  2. You Don't Know My Name by Kristen Orlando (Jan. 5)
  3. The Ripper's Shadow by Laura Joh Rowland (Jan. 5)
  4. A List of Cages by Robin Roe (Jan. 7)
  5. Dead and Breakfast by Kate Kingsbury (Jan. 7)
  6. Beheld by Alex Flinn (Jan. 12) 
  7. A Merciful Death by Kendra Elliot (Jan. 14)
  8. The Cold Eye by Laura Anne Gilman (Jan. 19)
  9. Southern Gothic by Dale Wiley (Jan. 19) 
  10. Dawn Study by Maria V. Snyder (Jan. 25)
  11. By Your Side by Kasie West (Jan. 26)
  12. Killing Jane by Stacy Green (Jan. 26)
  13. The Black Wolves of Boston by Wen Spencer (Jan. 28) 
  14. The Cruelty by Scott Bergstrom (Feb. 2)
  15. A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong (Feb. 2) 
  16. Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan (Feb. 4)
  17. The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro (Feb. 9)
  18. Long May She Reign by Rhiannon Thomas (Feb. 16)
Read Previously, Reviews Posted This Month
  1. At What Cost by James L'Etoile (Dec. 8)
  2. Time of Death by Lucy Kerr (Dec. 10)
  3. Forgotten City by Carrie Smith (Dec. 15)
  4. Ill Met by Murder by Elizabeth J. Duncan (Dec. 17) 
  5. Coffin Road by Peter May (Dec. 22) 
  6. The Secret of a Heart Note by Stacey Lee (Dec. 22)
  7. Midnight Obsession by Melinda Leigh (Dec. 29)
I Added These Books

These are listed in the order I received them. Links go to Amazon. Date published is listed in parentheses.
  1. Alice and the Assassin by R. J. Koreto (April 11)
  2. Elementary, She Read by Vicki Delany (March 14) 
  3. Purr M for Murder by T. C. LoTiempo (March 14)
  4. Dawn Study by Maria V. Snyder (Jan. 31)
  5. Missing by Kelley Armstrong (April 18)
  6. The Dragon's Price by Bethany Wiggins (Feb. 21)
  7. Shadow Run by Michael Miller (March 21)
  8. Gauntlet by Holly Jennings (April 4)
  9. The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky (August 1) 
  10. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee (June 20)
  11. The Sandcastle Empire by Kayla Olson (June 6)
  12. Kale to the Queen by Nell Hampton (April 11)
  13. Pretty Fierce by Kieran Scott (April 4)
Next Month's Plan

I read 174 review books in 2016. With retirement coming up this June, I think I will actually be reading fewer review books. I still need to look at my calendar and say "no" more often.

I have finished all of my January releases and read a few of my February releases already. I like keeping a one month cushion if I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!