Monday, February 6, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Feb. 6, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted at The Book Date.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This week was as crazy as I thought it would be. Last Monday we had a version of Parent-Teacher conferences wherein letters were sent to parents of students who struggled the first semester inviting them to come in. I didn't see one person who was not employed by my school district from 3:30 until 7:30. I did manage to get caught up on grading, plan a couple lessons, and finish reading my current review book.

Tuesday was normal but Wednesday was unique in a way I don't want to experience again. I had my first group of sixth graders in the Media Center at 11 AM when the school called for an internal lockdown. At first they called it a drill but it went on and on. We had the students in lockdown until 3:08 PM when they finally released them to catch their buses home. Besides my 6th graders, we also had about twenty other students in the Media Center when the lockdown began. Luckily, the staff restrooms are inside our locked doors so I didn't have more than 40 kids sequestered with no access to a restroom. Also, I had computers and books to entertain the kids while we waited and waited in an information vacuum for something to happen. Needless to say, I never made it to the Elementary for my afternoon classes.

However, the lockdown was ended just in time for my after school meeting which we moved to the Elementary since the Elementary members of the committee were reluctant to come to the high school building. When I finished that meeting I came home and had about an hour before my annual townhouse association meeting which lasted until 9:30.

Thursday and Friday were blessedly normal and this weekend is giving me a chance to finally find some reading time.

Read Last Week
Hunted by Meagan Spooner was an amazing re-imagining of Beauty and the Beast. I loved the characters, language and setting. I bought a copy of this March 14 release to donate to my HS Media Center. My review will be posted on March 11.

Freya by Matthew Laurence was a contemporary fantasy which I received for review. It begins a series and is filled with interesting characters and lots of action. My review will be posted on March 9.

Currently
I began The Hidden Memory of Objects by Danielle Mages Amato this week but set it aside when I got a review book that needed to be read now. I am enjoying the story and am eager to get back to it.

Next Week
I have more from my review stack on the pile for next week.
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
  • Goldenhand by Garth Nix continues the Abhorsen series. It was a Kindle deal.
  • Long Way Home by Katie McGarry continues the Thunder Road series. I bought a hardcover so that I can pass it along to my HS Media Center when I've finished it.
  • First Year by Rachel E. Carter was also a Kindle deal. I can't resist that kind of book - magic and schools.
  • The Best Kind of Magic by Crystal Cestari was a NetGalley find. It will be released on May 16.
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

3 comments:

  1. A lockdown situation sounds scary. Glad everyone was okay. I hope you have a better week this week!

    Glad to hear you liked Hunted. I have that on my TBR list. I love fairy tales retold and I enjoyed her Starbound series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh nice! I can't wait to read Hunted and 100 Hours!! I'm planning to binge read Sophie Jordan's duology once I get my copy from my Apollycon order. sadly I couldn't attend but I did order a nice stack of books to get signed and enjoyed! LOL! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited for Hunted! I've had my eye on that cover for quite some time now.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!