Saturday, April 29, 2017

Book Review: Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld

Spill Zone
Author: Scott Westerfeld, Alex Puvilland
Series: Spill Zone (Book 1)
Publication: First Second (May 2, 2017)

Description: Three years ago an event destroyed the small city of Poughkeepsie, forever changing reality within its borders. Uncanny manifestations and lethal dangers now await anyone who enters the Spill Zone.

The Spill claimed Addison’s parents and scarred her little sister, Lexa, who hasn’t spoken since. Addison provides for her sister by photographing the Zone's twisted attractions on illicit midnight rides. Art collectors pay top dollar for these bizarre images, but getting close enough for the perfect shot can mean death―or worse.

When an eccentric collector makes a million-dollar offer, Addison breaks her own hard-learned rules of survival and ventures farther than she has ever dared. Within the Spill Zone, Hell awaits―and it seems to be calling Addison's name.

My Thoughts: I enjoyed this first episode in the Spill Zone series, except for the very abrupt ending. Addison is a photographer who makes illegal trips into the Spill Zone to take and sell photos of the strange things that are there. She needs the money to take care of her younger sister who was in the Zone when whatever happened happened. There parents were in the Zone too and never came out.

Addison has made a number of rules to protect herself when she goes into the Zone. However a million dollar offer from a rich collector of her photographs is making her rethink her rules and do more dangerous things. Apparently the mysterious collector is being backed by North Korea which had a smaller spill in their country and want something from inside the spill in New York. There are a few pages about a young man who is a survivor of the spill and who has been changed by it.

I was intrigued by Addison's younger sister Lexa and her doll Vespertine. They were apparently greatly changed by the spill too.

I am not a frequent reader of graphic novels but I enjoyed the art, the colors, and the flow of this story. I would recommend it unconditionally except for the frequent f-bombs that make this problematical for middle graders.

Favorite Quote:
"Um, riches? How much are we talking about, anyway?"

"Six hundred thousand? No wait! I'll save the bickering for fools like Marty. A million is my firm offer?"
I received this one for review from First Second Books. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!