Sunday, April 2, 2017

State of the Stack (April 2, 2017)

This is my monthly State of the Stack post. It is my way to keep track of my review books and to hopefully reduce the stack that I have waiting for me. I take a look at my review commitments on the last Monday of each month. Please feel free to join in and let me know the state of your stack.

Here is my Review Books Spreadsheet I list them in publication order and sort them by month. I can quickly see how many books I have for each date. Ideally, this keeps me from over-committing to review books. Check my spreadsheet to find out where I got each book.

I also do this post because sometimes (frequently) review books sit on my stack for a while before I read and review them. I try to read and review books within two weeks of publication date. Sometimes I can't, though, if too many books are releasing on the same date or if the book arrives too near its publication date and my calendar is already full.

I am very grateful to the authors and publishers who support my reading habit.

My Review Pile

April 
 The Last Thing You Said by Sara Biren (April 4)
Finding Gideon by Eric Jerome Dickey (April 18)
Echo of Danger by Marta Perry (April 25)
The Unbreakable Code by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman (April 25)
Big City Heat by David Burnsworth (April 25)
  
May
The Traitor's Kiss by Erin Beatty (May 9)
Death in the Abstract by Emily Barnes (May 16)
The Best Kind of Magic by Crystal Cestari (May 16)
The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich (May 16)
Edited Out by E. J. Copperman (May 16)
The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis (May 30)
 
June
 The Sandcastle Empire by Kayla Olson (June 6)
What I Lost by Alexandra Ballard (June 6)
The Girl with the Ghost Machine by Lauren DeStefano (June 6)
 The Frog Princess Returns by E. D. Baker (June 6)
The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May (June 13)
We Come Apart by Sarah Crossan & Brian Conaghan (June 13)
Bad Housekeeping by Maia Chance (June 13)
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee (June 20)
The Waking Land by Callie Bates (June 27)
  
July
 The Reluctant Queen by Sarah Beth Durst (July 4)
A Panicked Premonition by Victoria Laurie (July 4)
 Some Kind of Hero by Suzanne Brockmann (July 11)
Murder in Mayfair by D. M. Quincy (July 11)
Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine (July 11)
Amid Stars and Darkness by Chani Lynn Feener (July 18)
Emperor of Mars by Patrick Samphire (July 18)
What Goes Up by Katie Kennedy (July 18)

August
 The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky (August 1)
Just Friends by Tiffany Pitcock (August 1)
The Danger Gang and the Pirates of Borneo! by Stephen Bramucci (August 1)
 Hunting Hour by Margaret Mizushima (August 8)
Dead Man's Bridge by Robert J. Mrazek (August 8)
Among the Dead by J. R. Backlund (August 8)
In Some Other Life by Jessica Brody (August 8)

December
Ensnared by Rita Stradling (Dec. 18)

Already Published


A Gleam of Light by T.J. & M.L. Wolf (12/9/2016; on my calendar for May 27 review)
The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco (March 7; I started this one but set it aside)
 
I Read This Month

These are listed in the order I read them. Links go to my reviews for all that have been posted already. Otherwise, the date the review is scheduled for is listed.
  1. Shadowcaster by Cinda Williams Chima (March 30)
  2. Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves (March 22)
  3. Pretty Fierce by Kieran Scott (April 1)
  4. Journey Across the Hidden Islands by Sarah Beth Durst (April 5)
  5. The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick (May 4)
  6. Duels & Deception by Cindy Anstey (April 6)
  7. Gone Without a Trace by Mary Torjussen (April 6)
  8. Alice & the Assassin by R. J. Koreto (April 8)
  9. The Inconceivable Life of Quinn by Marianna Baer (April 8)
  10. Change Agent by Daniel Suarez (April 12)
  11. Missing by Kelley Armstrong (April 13)
Read Previously, Reviews Posted This Month
  1. Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop
  2. Elementary, She Read by Vicki Delany
  3. Freya by Matthew Laurence
  4. Purr M for Murder by T. C. LoTempio
  5. Hunted by Meagan Spooner
  6. The Hidden Memory of Objects by Danielle Mages Amato
  7. A Twist of the Knife by Becky Masterman
  8. Miss Ellicott's School for the Magically Minded by Sage Blackwood
  9. The Cutaway by Christina Kovac
  10. Shadow Run by Michael Miller
  11. Break Me by Tiffany Snow
  12. 100 Hours by Rachel Vincent
  13. Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray
  14. Gauntlet by Holly Jennings
I Added These Books

These are listed in the order I received them. Links go to Amazon. Date published is listed in parentheses.
  1. Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves (March 28)
  2. What Goes Up by Katie Kennedy (July 18)
  3. The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick (May 9)
  4. Big City Heat by David Burnsworth (April 25) 
  5. Change Agent by Daniel Suarez (April 18)
  6. Hunting Hour by Margaret Mizushima (August 8) 
  7. Dead Man's Bridge by Robert J. Mrazek (August 8)
  8. Among the Dead by J. R. Backlund (August 8)
  9. Edited Out by E. J. Copperman (May 16)
  10. Murder in Mayfair by D. M. Quincy (July 11)
  11. The Last Thing You Said by Sara Biren (April 4)
  12. The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis (May 30)
  13. The Frog Princess Returns by E. D. Baker (June 6)
  14. The Girl With the Ghost Machine by Lauren DeStefano (June 6)
  15. The Danger Gang and the Pirates of Borneo by  Stephen Bramucci (August 1)
  16. A Gleam of Light by T.J. & M.L. Wolf (Dec. 9, 2016)
  17. We Come Apart by Sarah Crossan & Brian Conaghan (June 13)
  18. A Panicked Premonition by Victoria Laurie (July 4)
  19. Bad Housekeeping by Maia Chance (June 13)
  20. Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine (July 11)
  21. The Waking Land by Callie Bates (June 27)
Next Month's Plan

My current reading slump is having me fall behind on reading my review books. I need to concentrate on reading review books in order to build my cushion again. I can not imagine that the rest of my final school year before retirement is going to get less busy and stressful. 

I also need to stop accepting new review books until I catch up. I've been telling myself that it's okay to get books that don't need to be reviewed until after I retire but the whole list is stressful even if that is true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!