Wednesday, June 14, 2017

ARC Review: More of Me by Kathryn Evans

More of Me
Author: Kathryn Evans
Publication: Amulet Books (June 13, 2017)

Description: Teva goes to school, studies for her exams, and spends time with her friends. To the rest of the world, she’s a normal teenager. But when she goes home, she’s anything but normal. Due to a genetic abnormality, Teva unwillingly clones herself every year. And lately, home has become a battleground. When boys are at stake, friends are lost, and lives are snatched away, Teva has a fight on her hands—a fight with herself. As her birthday rolls around, Teva is all too aware that time is running out. She knows that the next clone will soon seize everything she holds dear. Desperate to hang on to her life, Teva decides to find out more about her past . . . and uncovers lies that could either destroy her or set her free.

My Thoughts: This science fiction story tells about a girl named Teva who looks pretty ordinary on the outside. She goes to school, hangs out with her best friend, and is devoted to her boyfriend Ollie. But on the inside things are not at all ordinary.

Each year, Teva unwillingly clones herself. Only the most recent Teva is allowed to go out of the house. This story is told by the most recent Teva who is very worried about having only one year before another Teva takes over. The previous Teva - Fifteen - is angry that the current Teva has taken over her life, best friend and boyfriend and is sneaking out of the house to be with him.

Despite her mother's demand that they keep their existence a secret, the current Teva begins an investigation to find out why they are like they are. She doesn't understand why her mother is so determined not to go to doctors to get some help. She begins a blog that talks about her strange illness in hopes of finding someone else who has the same thing happening in their life.

I liked a lot of this story. Teva was an interesting character who was rightly concerned that something was wrong with her. I liked her relationship with her best friend and I liked that she was building a relationship with a new boy in her design class. I liked that she was willing to fight to keep her life and that she was developing agency. Her younger selves, except for Fifteen, were willing to follow their mother without thinking about it.

I felt that it was unnecessary to Americanize the book by throwing in the names of US colleges. I felt that it made the story feel a little discordant to me. I had the feeling as I was reading that the story took place somewhere else and then an Americanism was thrown in.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and think it would appeal to many young adults.

Favorite Quote:
I couldn't help but smile. Sometimes, just sometimes, it felt like we were a normal family. Nearly. Keeping hold of Six, I scooped Eva onto my hip. She burrowed her fuzzy head into my neck, and I waddled into the kitchen.
I received this one for review from Amulet Books. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. My God. This has such an interesting concept! Glad you liked it. Thanks for the review! I'll try and check it out sometime.

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!