Friday, June 2, 2017

Friday Memes: What I Lost by Alexandra Ballard

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
No one told me that when I got skinny I'd grow fur.
Friday 56:
"So, you're a Smithie?" The words were barely out of my mouth before I cringed. What I'd meant to say was, Oh, cool, you go to Smith, but instead I sounded like one of those people who uses slang that nobody actually uses, like my Uncle Rodney, who lives in Atlanta and always says, "What's happening in Beantown these days?" when no local I know has ever called Boston Bean-anything.
This week I am reading What I Lost by Alexandra Ballard. I received this ARC from Macmillan. Here is the description from Amazon:
What sixteen-year-old Elizabeth has lost so far: forty pounds, four jean sizes, a boyfriend, and her peace of mind. As a result, she’s finally a size zero. She’s also the newest resident at Wallingfield, a treatment center for girls like her―girls with eating disorders. Elizabeth is determined to endure the program so she can go back home, where she plans to start restricting her food intake again.She’s pretty sure her mom, who has her own size-zero obsession, needs treatment as much as she does. Maybe even more. Then Elizabeth begins receiving mysterious packages. Are they from her ex-boyfriend, a secret admirer, or someone playing a cruel trick?

This eloquent debut novel rings with authenticity as it follows Elizabeth’s journey to taking an active role in her recovery, hoping to get back all that she lost.



4 comments:

  1. I had a friend who suffered from Anorexia. Eating disorders are nothing to laugh at. This sounds mysterious too. I'd read it.

    My Friday 56 from Skin and Bones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those snippets sound pretty great - thanks for sharing. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun coming-of-age read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!