Friday, October 13, 2017

ARC Review: Last Chance by Gregg Hurwitz

Last Chance
Author: Gregg Hurwitz
Series: The Rain Brothers (Book 2)
Publication: Tor Teen (October 17, 2017)

Description: The Rain brothers fight for the survival of humanity in Last Chance, the thrilling sequel to New York Times bestselling author Gregg Hurwitz's YA debut, The Rains.

The New York Times bestselling author of Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz, returns to Creek's Cause to follow the Rains brothers as they fight an alien threat that has transformed everyone over the age of 18 into ferocious, zombie-like beings, in this thrilling sequel to The Rains.

Battling an enemy not of this earth, Chance and Patrick become humanity’s only hope for salvation.

My Thoughts: This sequel to THE RAINS is an action-packed, thrill-a-minute science fiction adventure. Patrick Rain, his younger brother and the narrator of the story Chance, and their best friend Alex are among the few survivors after the alien invasion. The invasion immediately turned anyone over eighteen into a sort of zombie. Anyone who turns eighteen is also infected. Patrick is the exception.

Chance had an encounter with an alien rebel who tells him that he and Patrick could be the saviors of the Earth but they need to stay alive long enough to find out how. Worst of all, Alex only has a month or so before her eighteenth birthday.

The kids have gathered a few remaining survivors into the high school but among the survivors is Ben who is Patrick's rival and who wants to take control of the group. Not only are they fighting aliens but among themselves.

The story keeps building excitement as the kids face test after test and danger after danger. Hope and despair seem to alternate. I enjoyed the relationship among the three main characters. Both of the boys love Alex who also loves them both. The bond between the brothers is strong. Chance idolizes his big brother Patrick who has always been there for him.

Fans of dystopias, science fiction, and stories with great characters will enjoy this series. However, read THE RAINS before tackling this one.

Favorite Quote:
"I hadn't thought of that. I figured we'd at least have more time to, you know..." My sentence trailed off. Even the air felt heavy.

Alex swallowed hard, seemed to set aside her sadness. She cocked her head at me. "Play foosball?" she said.

I grinned. "Work out a synchronized-swimming routine."

"Learn how to bake souffles."

We were cracking up now, but Patrick wasn't. He was steadily scanning the horizon, squinting against the setting sun.
I received this one in exchange for an honest review from the publisher. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I just reviewed this one yesterday. Very action packed (and a bit gory!) Good one for reluctant readers, I think.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!